Spa People in the News
The International SPA Association Names 2013 Board of Directors and Officers
LEXINGTON, Ky. (September 13, 2012) – The International SPA Association (ISPA) has announced the newly elected 2013 ISPA board of directors and officers. The slate of directors includes two new and one returning board member. Their term will begin at the 22nd annual ISPA Conference & Expo held at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, Fla. from Oct. 15-17, 2012.
“Each year provides an opportunity to add fresh perspectives which continues to strengthen the association,” said ISPA President Lynne McNees. “Their volunteer commitment to the spa community through board service helps the industry continue to evolve.”
Each person was elected by the ISPA membership for the ISPA board of directors following an extensive nominating and interview process. ISPA’s membership is comprised of product suppliers as well as six spa categories from countries around the globe. ISPA is proud to be recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry.
The 2013 ISPA Board will be led by re-elected Chairman Ella Stimpson, executive director of spa and salon operations for Wynn and Encore Las Vegas.
“It’s such an honor for me to continue with my own board service and to welcome our two newest members to the board,” said Stimpson. “My pledge to the members is to continue to lead the association forward by being an advocate for the spa industry and continue making ISPA an invaluable resource.”
The elected members of the 2013 ISPA board officers are as follows:
• Chairman: Ella Stimpson
• Vice Chairman: Michael Tompkins
• Secretary/Treasurer: Todd Walter
The elected members of the 2013 ISPA board members are as follows:
Newly Elected ISPA Board Members
• Kristi Bonsack, director of wellness at Longboat Key Club & Resort
• Todd Hewitt, senior spa director at Four Seasons Toronto
• Ella Stimpson, executive director of spa and salon operations for Wynn and Encore Las Vegas (serving her second term)
Returning ISPA Board Members
• Sharilyn Abbajay, founder of The Abbajay Collection
• Sean Handler, Michigan director of spas at Boyne Resorts
• Thor Holm, director of spa, recreation and fitness at Hammock Beach Resort
• Jeff Kohl, senior vice president and chief operating officer of Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa
• Frank Pitsikalis, founder and CEO of ResortSuite
• Philippe Therene, founder of SpaEquip, Inc.
• Michael Tompkins, chief executive officer of Miraval Resort and Spa
• Todd Walter, chief executive officer of Red Door Spas
• Deborah Waldvogel, director of spa development and operations at Sedona Resorts (immediate past chairman)
“As we are excited about our new members, we also would like to thank our retiring board members for their service and dedication to the industry,” said McNees.
Retiring ISPA Board Members:
• Paul Schmidt, spa director at The Fairmont Southampton, Willow Stream Spa
• Kathryn Dundas, CEO and medical director of Sublime Wellness Spa
The application process for the 2014 ISPA Board of Directors will begin in mid 2013. At that time, a call for candidates will be e-mailed to all ISPA members and the application will be posted on experienceispa.com.
About the International SPA Association:
SPA is recognized worldwide as the leading professional organization and voice of the spa industry. Founded in 1991, ISPA advances the spa industry by providing invaluable educational and networking opportunities, promoting the value of the spa experience and speaking as the authoritative voice to foster professionalism and growth. More details on ISPA are available on experienceispa.com.
ISPA’s definition of spa: Spas are places devoted to overall well-being through a variety of professional services that encourage the renewal of mind, body and spirit.
Copyright 1997-2013 Julie Register, All rights