Atlantic City Windmills**
Atlantic City Outlets The Walk**
The city, in general, seemed cleaner and in better repair than during my visits in the past. The best change, though, is that Atlantic City has become a spa destination. A number of upscale spas have recently been built that make a trip to AC worthwhile for a spa enthusiast. (Go to Spas in New Jersey, Atlantic City for a list and more information).
The Water Club (left) and The Borgata*
The Water Club (left) and The Borgata*
On this visit, I stayed at The Water Club, a 43-story, $400 million hotel connected to The Borgata. It has six retail shops and five heated pools - 3 indoor and 2 outdoor. It doesn't have its own casino, but guests can easily use The Borgata's. It does, however, have its own spa, Immersion, which opened in June 2008. It's a very nice spa I might add, and I love the name. It sets an expectation of the spa experience before you even enter the facility.
The 36,000 square-foot Immersion is located on the 32nd and 33rd floors of The Water Club. It's signature feature is its 80-foot-long, infinity-edge lap pool in an area with 42 foot high, floor-to-ceiling windows that provide great views of the marina, Atlantic City, and the Atlantic ocean. A spa cuisine menu by Chef Geoffrey Zakarian is available here. A few of the items on the menu include: Greek Yogurt with Almond Infused Honey and Lemon Zest, Watermelon Tomato Gazpacho Cups, Smoked Salmon Pizzette with Soft Herbs and Horseradish Crème Fraîche and Immersion "Superfood" Wrap with Quinoa, Avocado and Cracked Organic Olives.
25-yard infinity-edge lap pool*
Co-Ed Whirlpool in separate glass-walled room near the spa pool*
The spa also has 16 treatment rooms and a Techno Gym-equipped fitness center in the 33rd floor.
Fitness Center at Immersion*
Immersion Couples' Suite*
Immersion Wet Room*
I arrived for my Immersion experience more than an hour early.
I spent a good bit of the time enjoying the co-ed lap pool, and then I retired to the women's wet area that enjoy the same view as the pool. I spent time in the steam room and the whirlpool.
When it got close to my appointment time, I moved to the women's relaxation lounge and helped myself to some tea and enjoyed that same great view. I had an Immersion Four Hand Massage with Peggy and Amy. I believe they used a Naturopathica Arnica, Rosemary and Juniper oil blend. But, to be honest, this treatment was so relaxing, I was positively loopy afterwards and my memory is a bit foggy on the particulars. I do know that four hands were massaging my body at the same time. One was usually at the head of the table and the other at the foot. Once in a while they would move to the sides to synchronize the strokes. It was great.
Since I was meeting someone for dinner later that evening, I showered after my massage. Usually I don't do that. I'll just crash in my room, and let the massage oil stay on my skin over night. This time, however, I massaged conditioner in my hair and then sat in the sauna for a while before showering. I greatly appreciated that Immersion provided True facial cleanser and moisturizer in the showers. Spas rarely provide facial products in the vanity area or showers. They are needed there, and it's a great way to try a product out.
Other treatments and services offered at Immersion at the time of my visit include:
Hair styling and makeup applications are offered in-room only or at The Salon at Borgata, while nail treatments are provided either poolside at Immersion or at The Salon at Borgata.
There are 800 guestrooms and suites in The Water Club. My room, #1878, was very comfortable and offered the same wonderful view as the spa.
The rooms offer Signature Water Club Beds designed by Sealy donned with 400-thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets. Included were the expected - fully stocked minibars, in-room safe, bathrobes and slippers. Extra touches included high-speed Wi-Fi Internet access, Sony iPod docking station and 40" Sony LCD HDTVs.
Guestroom # 1878 in The Water Club
View from Guestroom #1878 in the Water Club
The roomy bathroom offered hairdryer and L'Occitane bath products. While the large shower was lovely, I am a bath person and missed soaking in the tub.
BathroomVanity in The Water Club Guestroom # 1878
Bathroom Shower in The Water Club Guestroom # 1878
More Spas in Jersey
• Spa Concierge - The Spa Concierge will be delighted to aid you in creating a personalized experience. All services are booked individually and the trained Spa Concierge will be happy to help you choose a combination of treatments to make yours the perfect spa experience.
• Reservations - When making your reservation, you will be asked to provide a valid credit card to hold the appointment. Your credit card will not be charged at this time, and you are welcome to present a different method of payment upon arrival. Your credit card will only be charged in the event of a same-day cancellation.
• Arrival - It isrecommended that you arrive at least one half-hour prior to your scheduled appointment. This will allow you time to register and change into your robe in time for your experience to begin. Your spa experience booking allows you full use of all spa facilities for the day, and you are welcome to arrive as early as 6:00 am to enjoy the amenities.
Check in - Upon arrival to
Immersion, you will be greeted by a Spa Concierge who will confirm your appointment
• Attire - While most treatments are best enjoyed without clothing, you are welcome to wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable. You will be provided with a robe and sandals and will be able to take your robe off in privacy. Disposable bathing suits are available upon request. It isalso recommended that you shower before your massage or body treatment. Proper attire, most importantly sneakers, is required for the fitness center.
• Spa Cuisine - A specially prepared spa cuisine menu is available to patrons of Immersion. A Spa Concierge can assist you in selecting and ordering your meal. Your order will be delivered at your requested time to a reserved location by the lap pool.
• Valuables - We encourage our customers to refrain from bringing valuables to Immersion. A locker will be provided to secure any personal belongings.
• Considerations - The spa is meant to be a relaxing environment. Please be considerate of other spa patrons and turn off all cell phones and pagers before entering the facility.
Access Fees - Customers may access the fitness center only for a charge.
The lap pool on the 32nd floor is
• Smoking - Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the spa.
• Age- All customers must be 18 years of age or older to experience a spa treatment, use the fitness center or pool located on the 32nd floor. With no lifeguard on duty, customers swim at their own risk. Children are not permitted access to Immersion.
• Cancellations - If for any reason you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, you must do so by 6:30 the evening before your appointment. There is a 100% charge for same-day cancellations. If you arrive late for your appointment, your treatment experience time will be shortened accordingly; and you will be responsible for payment in full. If you arrive more than five minutes late without prior notification, your appointment will be considered a same-day cancellation and the appropriate fee applied to your credit card.
photos copyright 2009 Julie Register
|Spa Art Gallery & Shop|
Copyright 1997-2013 Julie Register, All rights